Do you need a good, healthy dessert recipe perfect for the summer to use up the seasonal strawberries? Or are you looking for a simple brunch treat? Well, I’ve got you covered with this amazing strawberry and rhubarb crumble that can be made any time of the day! You can adjust the fruit you have at home, but the combination of the tangy rhubarb with the sweet seasonal strawberries is hard to beat!
Just picture it- warm fruity middle with crispy, oaty crumble combined with a refreshing berry banana ice cream. Isn’t that perfection? I’ve always been a fan of the hot and cold combo and this really hits the spot!
The humble crumble (he-he) is truly simple and easy, there is only a couple of wholesome ingredients needed and minimal effort. Nevertheless, it is a nutritious meal. The oats are an amazing source of carbs, fiber and contain more protein and fats then other grains. All the sweetness comes from the strawberries and 3 tbsp of maple syrup-no refined sugar here!
And did you know rhubarb is actually a- vegetable?! Yup… Their roots have been used in ancient Chinese medicine to relieve constipation because all of the wonderful fiber it contains. Plus the vitamins: a whooping amount of vitamin K, C, A and B-complex. And here’s a geeky fun fact. One cup of rhubarb contains more calcium then one cup of milk! Are you unsure what rhubarb actually is? Check it out in the link! What I can say- rhubarb paired with strawberries is incredible! I won’t be talking much about strawberries because we all know hot amazing they are, but I will only advise you to make sure they are organic. Strawberries are on top of the pesticide foods list. Eat safe, guys!
Why you’ll love the strawberry and rhubarb crumble:
- simple and easy to make
- nutritious dessert/breakfast
- wholesome plant based ingredients, no refined sugar, no gluten, no dairy
- not overly sweet, but really satisfying
- very adjustable- use the fruit you already have on hand
As I did have some strawberries leftover from making the tahini and strawberry wholesome bread rolls I have showed you, I though the strawberry and rhubarb crumble would make an incredible breakfast treat… and just a little left-over piece was my late-night snack. I can proudly say- it works for everything! So make sure to tell me how did you enjoy the crumble. Please leave a reply or tag me on Instagram #lifeinbalance. See you! 🙂
Easy and simple strawberry & rhubarb crumble!
- 250 grams of strawberries
- 150 grams of rhubarb (2-3 stalks)
- 1 ripe banana
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 60 grams rolled oats (GF if necessary)
- 20 grams shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp of maple syrup
- small handful of almonds, chopped
- 3/4 cup of frozen berries
- Preheat the oven at 180°C/360°F
- Start by dicing the strawberries and rhubarb. Place them in a pan and cook for 5 minutes until you make the crumble mixture.
- To make the crumble combine 1/2 of a banana (mashed with a fork), melted coconut oil, maple syrup, oats, shredded coconut and almonds.
- Place the strawberries and rhubarb in a small, deep baking dish and cover with the crumble mix. Set to bake for 20 minutes until golden and bubbly on top.
- Blend the other 1/2 of the banana with the frozen berries and a little splash of water to make ice-cream.
- Serve the baked crumble warm with a scoop of ice-cream and enjoy!
If you have any leftover crumble store it in the fridge and eat up in 3-4 days.
Let’s keep in touch! If you already haven’t, please subscribe and always be the first to know about the yummy recipes on the blog!
Until next time,